Monday, November 03, 2014

George Crabbe
to spare

by Roberto Lavidez

speak not
to me
of lasting
fame
for I
am not
like fame
to last 
the silver
moon’s
enamour’d
beam
steals
softly
through
the night
where
am I
now
I slept
to wake
again
and to
forget
o now
I recollect
what I
confess
you may
as fact
believe
and what
I say not
to your
thoughts
I leave
of one
thing
would I
learn
the truth
if truth
to mortals
may be
told
that no
remonstrance
could remove
that no
indignities
could cure
away with
this accursed
pride
these visions
profligate
and vain
but there
are charms
that long
abide
through
years
that other
charmers
kill
over evil
passions
grow
as soon
as we
begin
to fear
my feelings
I must
all obey
can I
resist
what
mortal can
how often
I have
drawn
my breath
with such
o’erwhelming
pain
so lived
the man
his days
moved
slowly on
although
his years
seemed
swift
when they
were gone
but now
farewell
to every
prudent
care
to every
hope
‘tis useless
now
to spare
hard is
the dwelling
of the nymph
to find
and yet
we ought
not in our
search
to cease


©robertolavidez2014



















No comments:

Post a Comment