Friday, October 24, 2014

alas! Percy
Bysshe Shelley

by Roberto Lavidez

alas!
I have
nor hope
nor health
nor peace
within
nor calm
around
the everlasting
universe
of things
flows through
the mind
rolls its
rapid waves
the flower
that smiles
today
to-morrow
dies;
all that
we wish
to stay
tempts
and then
flies
the race
of man
flies far
in dread
his work
and dwelling
vanish
like smoke
before the
tempest’s
stream
and their
place is
not known
whoever
should
behold me
now
I wish
would think
I were a
mighty
mechanist
from the
ends of
the earth
from the
ends of
the earth
where the
night has
its grave
and the
morning
its birth
come
come
come!
drive my
dead
thoughts
over the
universe
like withered
leaves
to quicken
a new
birth!
one word
is too often
profaned
for me to
profane it
as I have
said
I floated
to the earth
it was
as it is
still
the pain
of bliss
to move
to breathe
to be
why linger
why turn back
why shrink
my heart?
let the
charged
artillery
drive
till the
dead air
seems
alive
when
passion’s
trance is
overpast
if tenderness
and truth
could last
what art
thou
freedom?
o! could
slaves
answer
from their
living
graves
and anarchy
the skeleton
bowed and
grinned
to every
one
or as they
whom we
have left
we change
and pass
away

©robertolavidez2014
















No comments:

Post a Comment