Monday, September 22, 2014

rising moon

( J. Zenea, P. Santacilia, J. Milanes, E. Varona,
J. Luaces, J. Quintero, J. Manzano, J. Marti,
B. Byrne, R. Boti, J. Poveda, R. Villena,
G. Avellaneda, J.M. Heredia, E. Ballagas)

by Roberto Lavidez

my soul
consumed
by those
vague fears
departed
for distant
shores
where I
dampened
my memories
with bitter
tears of
my heart
my struggle
I’ve sustained
surprised
by strength
of late
unhappy
self
my grief’s
remained
my fight
grows
obstinate
lost among
towering
masses
a dark
slope
began to
appear
which as if
compelled
by an
invisible
hand
with
curious
terror
I drew
near
but if
you don’t
hear this
lamentation
hear my
torment
and my
pain
let the
waves
swallow me
the waves
that begin
to roar
and rail!
if brought
down and
torn into
shreds
is my flag
some 
terrible day
our dead
raising
their arms
shall
defend it
again
in their
way!
I have
the stern
impulse
and the
sacred
life of
my reveries
for those
who have
died
the sun
lengthens
in twilight
grateful
for the
people
their dogs
and children
fondly
greeting
as they go
unlike the
glacial
disdain of
rich suburban
men
Cuba!
you will
finally
be free
and pure
like the
breath
of light
that you
breathe
like the
roiling
waves
that you
feel kissing
the sand of
your coasts
good-bye!
the slow sail
creaks…
the anchor lifts…
the ship
shaken
cuts through
the waves
and silently
flies!
a heavy
iron hand
bears on
our hearts
a while
but in
joy
we come
to the
banquet
of the exile
oh countryside
when I see
your green
field calms
my young
heart
beats
cheerfully!
be blessed
by the man
who loved
you as
a child!
what is
your name
night of
nights?
tell me
your name
leave me
your
watchword
so that
I may
always
know you
I’ve witnessed
wings upon
the shoulders
of beautiful
women
in delight:
and I’ve
seen
butterflies
rising
as from
rubble
in their
flight
they are
harmonious
notes
of the world
in pain
this world
has a soul
for there is
a sensitive
soul in
everything
and if
when the
rising moon
is high
we see it
who will
give voice
to that
accent
with which
the sea
speaks
to us?...
voiceless
as a sigh

©robertolavidez2014

















No comments:

Post a Comment