Friday, November 14, 2014

W. Berry
in the stillness
of the trees

by Roberto Lavidez

I have come
to the end
of what
I have
supposed
following
my thread
of song
I am done
with apologies
if contrariness
is my
inheritance
and destiny
so be it
the mind
still hungers
for its earth
its bounded
and open
space
the term of
its final
assent
I come
into the
peace of
wild things
who do not
tax their
lives with
forethought
of grief
to imagine the
thoughtlessness
of a thoughtless
thing is
useless
the world
is greater
than its
words
to speak
of it
the mind
must bend
and so
as the old
lie and
the young
depart
where shall
a man go
who keeps
the memories
of the dead
suddenly
I know
I have
passed
across to
a shore
where I
do not
live
I’ve lived
in two
countries
in my life
and never
moved
it is
dangerous
to remember
the past
only for
its own sake
dangerous
to deliver
a message
that you
did not get
man has
put his
history
to sleep in
the engine
of doom
terrors are
to come
the earth
is poisoned
with narrow
lives
to be sane
in a mad
time
is bad
for the
brain
worse for
the heart
we’ve
come round
again to
short days
and long
nights
time goes
that there’s
a little
of the good
left over
from a
few lives
is a comfort
of sorts
in the
stillness
of the trees
I am 
at home

©robertolavidez2014  


















No comments:

Post a Comment