Friday, November 14, 2014

my apologies
Maxine Kumin

by Roberto Lavidez


I understand
we did this
I understand
we may do
this again
before it is
done to us
I do the
same things
day by day
they steady
me against
the wrong
turn
I might
have swum
down looking
soundlessly
into nothing
down
stairways
and alleys
of nothing
under these
extenuating
circumstances
your mind
may make
absurd
leaps
everywhere
on this
planet
birth
I think
I hear
burned
babies
screaming
screaming
in the
basswood
by my
window
I close
the book
I am
reading
in which
there’s
a picnic
in the
country
before the
Great War
at least
there
says the
dream
no mysteries
stupidity
said
Immanuel 
Kant
is caused by
a wicked
heart
repent!
bliss is
belief
but where’s
the higher
moral plane
I roost on?
I grind out
a butt
and think
of the
waiting
bourbon
the sun
goes down in
disappointment
where have I
come from?
where am I
going?
one works
I suppose
because
It is
the most
interesting
thing
one knows
to do
think of
the language
we two
same and
not-same
might
have
constructed
from sign
scratch
grimace
grunt
vowel
I want to
apologize
for all
the snow
falling
in this
poem
so early
in the
season
in case
we
outlast
the winter
in case
when the
end comes
ending all
matter…

©robertolavidez2014  

















No comments:

Post a Comment