Saturday, October 18, 2014

an affair
with poems

(Weaver, Brooks, Hughes,
Moore, Hayden, Komunyakaa,
Ellis, Jackson, Shakur, McCray,
Finney, Sanchez, Derricotte,
Giovanni, Seibles, Neal, Dunbar,
Bingham, Hayes, Wright)

by Roberto Lavidez



yesterday
I was 
nothing but 
a road
heading
four ways
tonight
I’m moving
traveling
beyond
modern
mumbling 
to 
prehistoric
groan
why should
the world be
overwise
in counting
all our tears
and sighs?
we live
live
spirit lives
and sound
lives
bluebird lives
lives
and leaps
it seems like
secretly
there’s a
big joke
being
played
if I didn’t
know
better
I’d say
the sun
never moved
ever
that
somebody
just pasted
it there
and said
the hell
with it
but that’s
impossible
long live
the rose
that grew
from concrete
when no
one else
even cared!
listen to it
closely
ain’t you
heard
something
underneath
like a –
what did I say?
a ye ye ye ye
ye ye ye
a yo yo yo yo
yo yo yo
da a ye
loom boom
da a ye
loom boom
I think
of the
delicate skull
of the Taung
child –
earliest of
the human
beings
emerged
from
darkness
dream
within
a dream
our dream
deferred
I would
have bled
for my
cause
to clear
the fight
out of
my system
I show
an old
rough face
that has
laughed
and cried
with lips
that want
to pucker
against
your candy
cheeks
the sweet
flowers
indrying
and dying
down
the grasses
forgetting
their blaze
and
consenting
to brown
words rolled
from under
the pressure
of my
ballpoint
love
baby
honey
please
I want
to have
an affair
with your
poems
no bullet
holes
no open
wounds
in your
words
all their
stanzas
look alike
all their
third
worlds
when it
belongs
at last
to all
when
it is
truly
instinct
brain matter
diastole
systole
reflex action
what if 
I came
upon you
in the road
sealed
in the
gray ash
of your
indecision
abandoned
by angels
death caught
in full stride
like walking
liberty
then
my blood
was cooled
mercifully
cooled by
a baptism
of gasoline
a ye ye ye ye
ye ye ye
a yo yo yo yo
yo yo yo
da a ye
loom boom
da a ye
loom boom

©robertolavidez2014

















No comments:

Post a Comment