Saturday, December 13, 2014

the song of
Jim Harrison
from songs
of unreason

by Roberto Lavidez

I’m an
old man
surging
upriver
on the
back
of my
dream
horse
that I
haven’t
seen
since
I was
ten
out of
almost
nothing
for practical
purposes
nothing
then back
as ancient
children
to the
great
nothing
again
the song
of man
and water
moving to
the ocean
nothing to
console
the morning
but the
dried
grasshopper
on my
desk
who fell
apart
at my
powerful
touch
I see
today
that
everyone
on earth
wants the
answer to
the same
question
but none
has the
language
to ask it
in truth
I am
puzzled
most in life
by nine
horses
many of us
live full term
never seeing
the bullet
the empty
plate of
hunger
the invisible
noose of
disease
a few years
back
I began to
lose the
world of
people
I’ve spent
a lifetime
trying to
learn the
language
of the
dead
of course
we are
condemned
to life
without
parole
until the
gods usher
us in to our
executioners
who live in
a hot
windowless
room
always
dark
you walk
through
doorways
in the mind
you can’t
walk out
then one day
you discover
that you’ve
learned
to fly
were it not
for the new
moon
my sky
would
collapse
tonight
so fed by
the waters
of memory
on a cool
night
there is
a break
from the
struggle
of becoming
I suppose
that’s why
we sleep
we want
to sleep
a long time
not forever
but then
to sleep
a long time
becomes
forever
doom
should be
ashamed
of itself
it’s so
ordinary
happening
to billions
of creatures…
would I still
love the
the creek if
I lasted
forever?

©robertolavidez2014  












No comments:

Post a Comment