Monday, November 17, 2014

R. L. Stevenson
through the ages

by Roberto Lavidez

in spite of
our wisdom
and sensible
talking
we
on our feet
must go
plodding
and walking
the beauties
of man
are frail
and the
silver lies
in the dust
and the
queen
that we call
to mind
sleeps
with the
brave and
the just
from out of
the dainty
the rude
the strong
from out of
the frail
eternally
through
the ages
from the
female
comes
the male
in dreams
unhappy
I behold
you stand
as heretofore:
the unremembered
tokens in
your hand
avail no more
to goodness
or greatness
to be good
and die
or to be great
and live
forever great
fixed is
the doom;
and to the
last of years
teacher
and taught
friend
lover
parent
child
each walks
though near
yet separate
time was the
golden head
irrevocably 
said
but time
which none
can bind
while flowing
fast away
leaves love
behind
still I love
to rhyme
and still more
rhyming
to wander
far from the
commoner way
long life
and short life
the last word 
said early in
the evening
there lies
the bed
and yet
I think
I hear
the words
repeated
plangent
and sad
on every
wind
that blows
the Gods
are dead
a word
that began
to go round
a word
a whisper
a start
hope that
leaped in
the bosom
fear that
knocked
on the heart
my
indefatigable
pen
I here
lay down
forever
men have
used
and left me
and forgot

©robertolavidez2014  













No comments:

Post a Comment