Sunday, August 24, 2014

Transtromer
lost in translation

by Roberto Lavidez

I walk 
home
through the
humid woods
with the
ground
springing
under me
from the
deeps of 
the forest 
I rise
it lightens
between the
trunks of trees
then suddenly
I feel 
the chill
from far off
the moment
blackens and
stays like
the mark of
the axe
in the trunk
task: to be
where I am
even when
I’m in this
solemn
and absurd
role: 
I am
still the place
where creation
works itself
as when 
a man
goes so deep
into his dream
he will never
remember 
that he 
was there
when he 
returns again 
to his room
there’s so much
we must be
witness to
reality wears
us so thin
but here is
summer at last:
everyone is
queing at
everyone’s door
many.
one
you are alone
on the water
society’s
dark hull
drifts further
and further
away
the storm
puts its mouth
to the house
and blow s
to produce
a note
talking with
contemporaries
I saw
heard behind
their faces
the stream that
flowed and
flowed and
pulled with it
the willing and
the unwilling
when darkness
fell
I was still
but my shadow
pounded against
the drumskin
of hopelessness
the black
grand piano
the shiny spider
trembled in
the center of
its net
of music
just as
a memory
is slowly
transmuted
into your
own self
the small
things I love
have they
any weight?
so many
dialects
of green
the language
marches in
step with the
executioners
therefore
we must get
a new language
talking in
misspelled
English
understanding and
misunderstanding
but very little
conscious
lying
it is still
beautiful
to feel the
heart beat
but often
the shadow
seems more
real than
the body
I don’t know
if we’re in
the beginning
or in the
final stage
no conclusion
can be made
no conclusion
is possible
in other parts
of the world
there are people
who are born
live and die
in a perpetual
crowd
it was the
living dead
who wanted
to have their
portraits painted
as if it were
necessary
as if the last
childhood were
being broken
into pieces
to pass through
the grating
as if it were
necessary…
it is easy
to love
fragments
that have been
on the way
a long time
a dog’s
barking is
a hieroglyph
painted in
the air
above
the garden
a tune escapes
from the
bagpipes!
a bagpipe tune
approaches
with its skirl
of freedom
fantastic to feel
how my poem
grows while
I myself 
shrink
I come
too seldom
down to
the water
but I am
here now
among
large stones
with peaceful
backs
where the last
words of love
evaporate
waterdrops 
that creep slowly
down steel wings…
we battlegrounds
are proud of
our many dead
said a voice
as I awakened
this is not Africa
this is not
Europe
this is
nowhere 
but
here

©robertolavidez2014
















No comments:

Post a Comment