Saturday, August 30, 2014

what might be
another Browning

by Roberto Lavidez

foul be
the world
or fair
more 
or less
how can
I care?
how many
precious
months
and years
of youth
had passed
that speed
so fast
before 
we found 
it out
at last
the world
and what
it fears
do you know
I have often
had a dream
of man’s
poor spirit
in its 
progress
still losing
true life
for ever
and a day
through ever
trying to be
and ever 
being
schemes 
of life
its best rules
and right uses
the courage
that gains
and the
prudence
that keeps
what men
strive for
who knows
what’s fit
for us
had fate
proposed
bliss here
should
sublimate
my being
had I signed
the bond
still one must
lead some
life beyond
have a bliss
to die with
dim-descried
we speak
of what is
not of what
might be
and how’t
were better
if ‘t were
otherwise
did I stand
question and
make answer
still with the
same result
of smiling
disbelief
being
as I find
much reason
to conceive
intended
to be viewed
eventually
as a great
whole
not analyzed
to parts but
each part
having
reference
to all
yes
earth
yes
mere ignoble
earth!
now do I
mis-take
mistake?
do I wrong
your weakness
and call it
worth?
expect
all harvest
dread
no dearth
seal my
sense up
for your
sake
I till
this earth
my sweat
and blood
manure
all the
long day
that barrenly
grows dusk
how well
I know
what I mean
to do
when the
long dark
autumn
evenings
come
I have shed
sweat enough
left flesh
and bone
on many
a flinty
furlong
of this land
dream the life
I am never
to mix with
and image
the show
of mankind
as they live
in those
fashions
I hardly
shall know
we mortals
cross
the ocean
of this
world
each in his
average
cabin
of a life
let’s sink
and so
take refuge
as it were
from life’s
excessive
altitude
to life’s
breathable
wayside
shelter
at its base
it’s wiser
being good
than bad
it’s safer
being meek
than fierce
it’s fitter
being sane
than mad
think when
our one soul
understands
the great
word which
makes all
things new
else it loses
what it
lived for
and eternally
must lose it
every one
knows for
what his
excellence
will serve
but no one
ever will
consider
for what
his worst
defect
might serve
god and man
and what duty
I owe both
I dare
to say
I have
confronted
these
in thought
but no
such faculty
helped here
well are we
demigods or
merely clay
is success
still attendant
on desert?
is this
we live on
heaven and
the final
state
or earth
which means
probation
to the end?
I love it
with my heart
unsatisfied
I try it with
my reason
nor discept
from any point
I probe and
pronounce
sound
what so false
as truth is
false to thee?
where the
serpent’s
tooth is
shun the tree
what so wild
as words are
I and thou
in debate
as birds are
Hawk on
bough!
here I wait
the end of
this ado
which wins
earth’s poet
or the
Heavenly
Muse
and now
a flower
is just
a flower
man
bird
beast
are but
beast
bird
man
simply
themselves
the shell
sucks fast
the rock
the fish
strikes
through
the sea
the snake
both swims
and slides
forth range
the beasts
the birds
take flight
till life’s
mechanics
can no
further go
what does it
all mean
poet?
well
your brains
beat into
rhythm
you tell
what we
felt only
you expressed
you hold things
beautiful
the best
and pace them
in rhyme so
side by side
had I but all
of them
thee and thy
treasures
what a wild
crowd of
invisible
pleasures!
flower o’
the clove
all the Latin
I construe
is “amo”
I love!

©robertolavidez2014



















No comments:

Post a Comment