Tuesday, August 26, 2014

where were we :

Larkin, Purdy, Ferlinghetti,
Cohen, Ondaatje, Heaney, Snyder,
Gunn, Creeley, Olson

By Roberto Lavidez

where
were we -
a girl in
a red skirt
high heels
going up
the stairs
before me
in a made-
over barn
white-wash
peeling
we lived
together
in the loft
on cool
bare boards
lemme
tell you
something
kid
back in 1910
who knows
you?
who remembers
you?
but in
your house
a ritual is
in progress:
it is not
finished:
it needs
more people
let us arise
and go now
into the
interior
dark night
of the soul’s
still bowery
and find
ourselves
anew
where subways
stall and wait
under the river
cross over
into full
puzzlement
and always
the voice
will sound
certain
you approve
this audacious
purifying
elemental
move
beyond
all this
the wish
to be alone
beneath it all
desire of
oblivion runs
while rain
cries out
against us
and darkness
swallows
the evening
and morning
moves into
stillness and
mist climbs
to our
throats
while we
are running
while we
are running
as the dead
prey upon us
they are
the dead
in ourselves
awake
my sleeping
ones
I cry out
to you
disentangle
the nets
of being!
what am I
to myself
that must be
remembered
insisted upon
so often?
is it that
never the
ease
even the
hardness of
rain falling
will have
for me
something
other than
this
I think
of all
the toughs
through
history
and thank
heaven
they lived
continually
the dog
trots freely
in the street
and sees
reality and
the things
he sees are
bigger than
himself and
the things
he sees are
his reality
my body
was braille
for the
creeping
influences:
dawn suns
groped over
my head
and cooled
at my feet
through
my fabrics
and skins
today
what is it
that is finally
so helpless
different
despairs of
it own
statement
wants to
turn away
endlessly to
turn away
birds
suddenly are
a multitude
the flowers
are ravined
by bees
the fruit
blossoms
are thrown
to the
ground
the wind
the rain
forces
everything
all the junk
that goes
with being
human
drops away
hard rock
wavers
even the
heavy present
seems to fail
this bubble
of a heart
midnight
storm
trees
walking off
across
the fields
in fury
naked in
the spark
of lightning
by now
all’s wrong
in everyone
there sleeps
a sense of
life lived
according
to love
eating each
other’s seed
eating ah
each other
kissing
the lover
in the mouth
of bread
lip to lip
why then
I’ll stay
at least
for tea
for all the
brownness
is too brown
and all the
whiteness
too damned
white
I’m afraid of
being any
other woman’s
man who
might be me
we have
no prairies
to slice
a big sun
at evening
everywhere
the eye
concedes to
encroaching
horizon
is the birth
of air
is the birth
of water
is a state
between
the origin
and the end
between birth
and the
beginning of
another
fetid nest
is change
presents
no more
than itself
if quietly
and like
another time
there is
the passage
of an
unexpected
thing:
to look at it
is more
that it was
where there
was nothing
left to
understand
and where
one must
re-enter and
re-enter
thought I saw
someone
I knew
she was
young in an
old summer
I tried
to remember
very carefully
balanced
on one foot
and concentrated
and concentrated
between
my finger
and my
thumb
the squat
pen rests
I’ll dig
with it
there is
my fear of
no words
of falling
without
words
over and over
of mouthing
the silence
as many nights
endure without
a moon or star
so one
will endure
when one is
gone and far
to grey
confusion of
the space
between
now as I
sweep it
clean
I realize
that love
is an arranging
constantly
risking
absurdity and
death
whenever
he performs
above the
heads of
his audience
the poet
like an
acrobat
climbs on
rime to
a high wire
of his own
making
I labored on
an external
silence
like the space
between
insects
in a swarm
electric
unremembering
and it is
aimed at us

©robertolavidez2014










No comments:

Post a Comment